Wednesday, June 11, 2014

SHAPES AND SHADOWS By Cecelia Lyden




oil/linen
11x14
www.cecelialyden.com
For decades I have raced by this structure, always noting its composition of multiple shapes, but in too much of a hurry to observe any interesting cast shadows. I finally took the time to check it out more carefully and took some photos. I stopped in an adjoining building to ask its function. Imagine the confused looks on the faces of the two female clerks, working in this rather drab office space when this elderly lady walked in the door; and their incredulous expressions when I explained that I was an artist and wanted to paint this [hulk of a] building. One of the women understood when I said I loved all its comprised shapes and their cast shadows. Unfortunately, they would not permit me  to paint on site-too much truck traffic. So I painted from one of my photos. The building is a distribution storage facility for livestock grain-ADM Alliance Nutrition in Camp Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment